Foundation and early years
Parma Calcio is a successor of the Verdi Foot Ball Club, which was active for a three-month period between July and September 1913 and was created to celebrate 100 years since the birth of the great composer, Giuseppe Verdi, who was born close to the city. The Club, now sporting the black cross on a white field for their strip, then reformed as Parma Foot Ball Club on 16 December 1913 but would undergo numerous name and ownership changes over the decades (Parma Associazione Sportiva, Parma Football Club, Associazione Calcio Parmense, Parma Associazione Calcio and Parma Football Club Spa). Parma mostly bounced between the second and third tiers in their initial campaigns in domestic national football but did spend the 1925/26 season in the top flight.
It was in these early years that Parma first started playing at the Stadio Ennio Tardini, which was named after one of the Club’s first presidents, who played a key role in the eventual construction of the stadium and even laid the first brick on the site on 31 December 1922